Pages

Monday 11 November 2019

Fish Out Of Water, Playing To Win

One time I felt like a fish out of water when I moved from Australia to New Zealand. I was nervous hopping on the plane because I had only ever been on a plane once, this was when I was around 7 or 8 years old. When I started my school I was at South Hornby, it was frightening because it was a new school, I was only a year 3 then so I didn't know much about the school, the school went from year 1 to year 6.  It was when I was year 4 that I got used to the school, but in year three I hated school, new school, new rules to the school, Australia was nice and hot, New Zealand was cold and rainy. I hated new Zealand, now that I am year 8 I have gotten used to new Zealand's weather, the past week it has been really hot and it reminded me of Australia because it was so hot.

That was a time where I felt like a fish out of water, going to a new country and a new school.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Josh!

    Thank you for sharing your fish out of water experience. It sounds like you could relate to how Denny is feeling in the novel we are reading. I didn't realize you used to live in Australia! I had many of the same feelings as you when I first came to New Zealand. I found simple things difficult like deciding what brand of food to get in the grocery store and getting used to new slang or culture words, but just like you, I have adapted and now New Zealand feels like home!

    Nice writing, and I liked how I could hear your personal voice. This is a great example of quality writing.

    - Miss Birtch

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.